Are you moving to Mexico

In this article, we answer the questions about relocating to Mexico that we get asked most often by our clients. If you can’t find the information you need here, then check out our other blog posts, or get in touch.

Is it advisable to get residency when relocating to Mexico?

The short answer is yes. It will make your life much easier. The residency process can be lengthy. However, it is straightforward as long as you meet the requirements. If you don’t understand Spanish or if you don’t want to deal with a lot of paperwork or wait long hours at a crowded office, you should get assistance. Read more about the residency procedures here. For a consultation on residency, contact:  

Can I work without having residency in Mexico?

You may not perform paid work without residency and a work permit. Exceptions are volunteering and religious training. Read more about working in Mexico here.

Can I buy property as a tourist?

Yes, you can. However, only Mexican citizens can purchase property within 50 km of the coastline or within 100 km of the border with other countries in their name. A foreigner may purchase property within these parameters only via a Mexican trust (fideicomiso) or a Mexican corporation. Read more about purchasing property in Mexico here.

Can I bring my pets when I move to Mexico?

Yes, you can! Depending on where you are from they may be quarantined and you will need to comply with other requirements. However,  the government has softened the restrictions on importing pets (cats and dogs) from the U.S. and Canada. 

What is medical care like?

Private medical care in Mexico is generally high-quality, efficient and inexpensive compared to other North American countries. Residents may also subscribe to the national health service, although waiting times may be long and service may vary in quality.  

What is dental care like?

Mexico has an excellent reputation for high-quality private dental care. As always, do your research to find the right provider for your needs. Expect to pay less than in other North American countries.

Is it safe?

Although Mexico has a reputation for violence and crime, generally this is isolated to certain areas and communities that expats and tourists do not usually frequent. See higher-risk (level 3 and above) areas here. Many residents report feeling safer in Mexico than in their home countries. As always, research where you travel to and through, take necessary precautions and avoid risky business. Unfortunate incidents can happen everywhere. Use common sense and you will reduce your chances of encountering danger.

What is the cost of living?

The cost of living can vary greatly depending on the location in Mexico. Quintana Roo is one of the most expensive states in the country. Foreigners can expect to live a comfortable life, comparable with their home countries for as little as $1500 per month. Read more here.

Can I open a bank account?

Yes, usually you will need your resident card, proof of address and passport to open a bank account. However, some banks will let non-residents open accounts too. 

How do I import my car when relocating to Mexico?

Temporary residents may import their car and keep their foreign plates for the duration of their temporary residency. However, permanent residents must replace their foreign plates with Mexican ones. 

Is it easy to drive there?

Mexicans drive on the right side of the road. Traffic can be heavy in major cities like Mexico City and Monterrey. In Quintana Roo traffic is generally light, and highways are easy to navigate and well-maintained, especially the toll roads. 

Can I speak English in Mexico?

Mexicans are very obliging when it comes to English-speaking visitors. You will usually find someone who understands English and will help you in case of need. However, it is recommended that you learn some basic Spanish at least if you decide to move to Mexico. Read why here.

Can I spend my US/CAN dollars there?

US dollars are widely accepted in Mexico. Candian dollars should be exchanged for pesos at a bureau de change (cambio). Confirm the rate before agreeing on the exchanges. You will need your passport to exchange currencies, and often commission is not charged.

Still curious about relocating to Mexico? Discover 10 simple reasons to relocate to Mexico here.

For a quote or consultation, email Adriana Vela at