Starting the process for a temporary or permanent resident visa? If you don’t have any Mexican born relatives in your immediate family or immediate family members who are holders of resident cards in Mexico, this is what you have to do.

Temporary or Permanent Resident Visa Requirements

The first step to Mexican residency is to apply through a Mexican consulate in your country. Consult this embassy finder to locate your nearest one.

First, you need to read the consulate’s website to check their own requirements. Consider that consulates have different requirements and sometimes they are misleading or their websites are not updated. So, to double check, contact them by email, phone or in person. The consulate will then give you all the information you need related to your personal situation and the documentation required by that consulate.

Temporary and Permanent Resident Visa Questions

Some people ask the following questions and we have the answers to make it easier to navigate the Mexican visa requirements: 

Is it difficult to get a Mexican visa in a consulate?

It all depends on the Mexican consulate that you are going to work with. However, is advisable to apply at the consulate that is closer to your home. 

What other requirements do I need to fulfill before my consulate appointment? 

Usually in USA and Canada, there are always financial requirements to fulfill. For example, you may bring investment or saving-accounts statements to show financial solvency. If not, you can show bank statements or pay stubs if you receive a salary or a pension.

You can also apply as an investor if you have a property or a business in Mexico. Amounts again vary according to each consulate.

How long will the interview last for my Mexico Residency Visa?

The initial interview at the consulate of your choice could take 15 to 20 minutes, or even less depending on what questions the consulate asks. That said, the interviews are typically standard and you’ll receive a visa in your passport that can bring you a step closer to a Mexican permanent or temporary resident card.

In case you need a quote or any information, please email Adriana Vela at or call us. 

Enjoying our blog? Check out this post: Useful Tips About the Canje Procedure and Traveling In and Out of Mexico