The permanent resident visa can be issued to a foreigner who intends to reside indefinitely (forever) in Mexico.


Foreigners granted permanent resident visas have the right to enter and leave Mexico as often as desired. This residency status never expires. They can also bring their personal property into Mexico in the manner and terms under the applicable law. However, this procedure must begin at a Mexican Consulate outside Mexico and end at an immigration office in Mexico.


Who Can Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa Straightaway?

Generally, pensioners or retirees can apply straightaway. However, they must prove sufficient monthly income or savings/investments to cover living expenses in Mexico.

What Are the Financial Requirements for an Individual?

 NOTE: The minimum wage in Mexico in 2021 is $141.70 Mexican pesos per day.


1. Proof of monthly pension, salary or monthly investment income that you have received for the last 6 months. Proof via pay stubs or financial statements showing at least 500 days worth of the Mexican minimum wage.




2. Proof of financial stability via statements of investments, savings or checking accounts from the preceding 12 months. You are required to prove a monthly balance of approximately 20,000 days worth of the Mexican minimum wage. 


Consult the complete requirements here (in Spanish): Visa de residencia permanente | Trámites

Can a Married or Common-Law Couple Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa Together? 

For a married or common-law couple, each partner must show the qualifying income or investments above. However, if one partner is economically dependent on the other, then an additional amount  must be added to the original. This amount is the equivalent of 100 days of the Mexican minimum wage.


In absence of the additional amount, then the second partner should enter Mexico as a tourist for 180 days. Once the first partner obtains residency, the second partner can apply for temporary residency, valid for two years. After those two years, they can then apply for permanent residency. Fortunately, at this point, there are no longer any financial requirements.


NOTE: The financial requirements vary slightly between consulates. This variation also depends on the exchange rate that the consulate applies. Find further information about permanent residency here.

For a quote or consultation, email Adriana Vela at

Enjoying our articles? Check out our last one on 10 Simple Reasons to Relocate to Mexico.

17 thoughts on “Can Expats from the US and Canada Get a Permanent Resident Visa in Mexico Straightaway?”

  1. I’d like info on applying for permanent residency in Mexico straightaway while living in the US.
    Can I also apply for my wife and 5 children (all under 18) at the same time?
    My entire family are US citizens, have visited Mexico, and have current US Passports.

    Provided we meet the financial requirements, how would we proceed?

  2. is this Permanent Resident Visa in Mexico Straightaway only for usa and canada?
    or i can make it …if i am resident in Saudi Arabia since 10 years but i am syrian.

    1. No, it is not just for US and Canada. Your consulate can tell you if you meet the requirements when applying.

  3. The problem with a Permanent Resident Visa is you cannot drive your foreign-plated vehicle in Baja California. With a Temporal Visa you can.

    I got a Permanent Resident Visa and now I can not drive down with my dogs.

    I don’t know how to get there!

  4. I live in Gilbert, Arizona a suburb of Phoenix. So I would like to use the consolate in Phoenix.
    I have all the papers required and photo’s. I would like to get an appointment so we can go
    over the papers. I want a Permanent Resident Visa for myself and my wife.

  5. Good afternoon.
    I am considering an application for Permanent Residency for Mexico; I am a retired person with an annual income of about $41,000.00 Canadian. Would I qualify?
    I will be 65 in October of 2022 and am thinking of a stay sometime after that to search for a home or residence.
    Any Information you can forward would be great.
    Can you also tell me when I should begin the application if I am looking at a year from now for travel?
    Thank you!

  6. I would like to apply for a permanent residency visa strait away . I am a retiree and on a pension

  7. I do not speak Spanish. Is there an agency or person I can contact to assist in Mexico after I have gone to Canadian consulate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.