Different ways to get PERMANENT RESIDENCY in Mexico

There are different ways to get Permanent Residency in Mexico, let’s review them….

1) You can get permanent residency from a Mexican Consulate, from the beginning, without having to be a Temporary Resident first. This decision depends on the Consulate you choose. In most cases, you need to be retired and fulfill the financial requirements. In other instances, you need only to qualify financially.

This is explained in a former article that we posted in our website. If you are interested, please click on this link:
from-the-start/This possibility is mainly for Mexican Consulates located in USA and Canada.

2) Another way to get Permanent Residency to have four (4) years of Temporary Residency. This Change of Condition is not automatic. Once you fulfilled four years of continuous residency as a Temporary Resident, you can apply for Permanent Residency.

In general, this can be done without showing bank data at the INM (Immigration Office), as you have shown previously at a Mexican Consulate to get your Temporary Residency.
This procedure can be done completely in Mexico, at an INM office. You do not have to travel abroad in order to do this procedure.
You will have to fill in forms with specific information, and write a request letter in Spanish. Also, you will need to submit a copy of your passport and your original Temporary Resident card along with updated pictures. You must pay for the INM rights, at the beginning and at the end of the procedure.

3) Another way to gain the Permanent Resident status is if you have a child born in Mexico. In this scenario, you will get your Permanent Residency at an INM office, while you are a tourist or at any stage of your Temporary Residency.

4) If you married a Mexican national, you can apply for Temporary Residency.
This status will be granted for two (2) years. After this period of time, you will be able to apply for your Permanent Residency under the procedures outlined above in number two (2).

5) Also you can receive your Permanent Residency if your foreign spouse, child or parent is already a Permanent Resident in Mexico. If any of your parents has the Permanent Residency status, you must be under 18 years old to obtain yours at the INM.

6) If you retire before completing the necessary four (4) years of temporary residency.

In case you need a more detailed explanation related to your current status, please, do not doubt to contact Adriana Vela at