At Immigration to Mexico we receive inquiries from all around the world. One of the most frequent is ‘Do I need a visa to enter Mexico?’. Well, the answer depends on where you are from or where you already have residency. In this article, we explain which visitors need a visa to enter Mexico. We also explain in which cases we can assist.

Entering Mexico via Citizenship

Let’s begin with citizenship. If you are a citizen of the following countries you do not need a visa to enter Mexico. 

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estado Plurinacional de Bolivia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niue, Norway, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay.

The conditions for visa-free entry from these countries are as follows:

citizenship and non-lucrative visits for up to 180 days, for the purposes of tourism, transit, business and study, including journalism. 

Entering Mexico via Visa from Another Country 

Next, if you have a visa from one of these countries, you may travel to Mexico without a visa. Citizenship is irrelevant in this case. Once again, the conditions apply: non-lucrative visits for up to 180 days, for the purposes of tourism, transit, business and study, including journalism. 


Canada, Japan, USA, UK or Schengen Area countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland).

Entering Mexico via Permanent Residency in Another Country

Finally, you may also enter Mexico without a visa if you are a current permanent resident from these countries: Canada, Chile, Colombia, Japan, Peru, USA, UK or a Schengen Area country.

Visitors who will need a visa to enter Mexico

If you do not fall under the categories above, you will require a visa before travelling to Mexico. You must obtain this visa from the Mexican consulate in your own country or another of your choice. At Immigration to Mexico, we cannot assist in these cases. Please use MiConsulado to contact your nearest consulate and arrange a visa.  Read our article on using MiConsualdo:   How to Book an Appointment at a Mexican Consulate

Immigration to Mexico Can Help in These Cases

At Immigration to Mexico we can help you to obtain residency if you:

  • come from one of the visa-free countries mentioned above
  • are already legally in Mexico
  • already have a valid visa to visit Mexico.

In all cases, additional valid identity and supporting documentation will be required. This will vary depending on your reason for travel to Mexico. 

Source: Mexican Secretariat for External Relations.