If a child is born in Mexico to a non-Mexican parent, it entitles the parent to permanent residency. This residency is granted upon application. In this article we explain how to apply for permanent residency through your Mexican-born child.

The Family Union Visa

The family union visa is issued to foreigners with family ties to a Mexican or resident of Mexico. It therefore grants the foreign family member temporary or permanent residency in Mexico. The type of residency depends on the kind of family tie.

In the case of a child born in Mexico to a non-Mexican parent, this entitles their parent(s) to permanent residency. However, the parent must apply first for the residency. 

How to apply for permanent residency via a Mexican-born child

First of all, make an appointment at your local INM office. This will vary from office-to-office. In Playa del Carmen for example, appointments are made from 9 am each morning. So arrive early to join the queue.  

The applicant then prepares the required documentation to submit at the local immigration office:

  • Original and copy of passport, identity document, or current temporary resident card. If submitting the Forma Migratoria Multiple (for visitors/tourists in Mexico), include the original. (N.B. This forma is largely obsolete in most locations now.) 

  • Credit/debit card to pay fees at the appointment. 

  • Official identification document of the Mexican (Mexican birth certificate).

  • Request to apply – completed online, printed and signed. It can be found at the following site: https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.html

  • Photographic ID of child.

  • Birth certificate of child, so that the applicant proves their family tie with the child.

Please also verify all requirements directly at your local immigration office. Variations between cases sometimes arise.

If the family is not in Mexico, follow these steps at a local Mexican consulate. The consulate may also have other requirements, so contact them directly to check.

The procedure is usually completed in one day. The immigration office issues permanent resident cards on the same day or soon after.

Check our blog for our article on how to obtain a passport for a child born in Mexico.